Cara's books

The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Thirteen Reasons Why
It's Kind of a Funny Story
Speak
My Sister's Keeper
The Silver Linings Playbook
Looking for Alaska
Water for Elephants
The Glass Castle
The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother
Autobiography of a Face
Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
The Hunger Games
Holes
Frindle
The Catcher in the Rye
Dear John
The Last Song
The Great Gatsby
A Walk to Remember


Cara's favorite books »

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Post #6


I think a 21st century English reading list should look like just what we have in school. I think the books mold us into the people we become. As a senior I can say that yes some books we read in school are boring but it wouldn’t be right if I decided not to read them because I wouldn’t be up to date with the rest of the seniors in America. I think in school it is nice that we read classics because it makes us more well-rounded people and knowing history and classics is something I find important. I think schools give us freedom to also explore books we like, for example when we do an independent book project. You usually get to choose the book and it gives yourself a sense of what you like.

Kids today should read book because without reading we would get nowhere. To the average kid reading is boring and meticulous but they often forget that every day we read, if it is street signs or a text message on your phone. I personally love reading and it kind of upsets name how selfish people are when it comes to taking reading for granted.

With the curriculum I think that they should forever force kids to read classics because it makes us mature and they are called “classics” for a reason. We shouldn’t be reading Hunger Games or Twilight because not everyone thinks those are good literary books. We need to realize that we are reading the books in school for a reason, not just because they are boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment